Position: Prep Cook
Location: Akira Back Delray, The Ray Hotel
Department: Operations, Back of House
Reports To: Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef, Sous Chef, Sushi Chef
Type: Hourly Non-Exempt
Salary Adjustments: Based on Performance
POSITION SUMMARY: The Prep Cook position will be responsible for working in all aspects of production and preparation of all restaurant’s foods, hot and cold.
GUEST SERVICE REQUIREMENTS:
- Provide a friendly, personal demeanor with a willingness to interact
- Provide professional and friendly guest services
- Commits self to the below listed Company values, and acknowledges dedication to providing excellent guest service for our Guests and our internal team, at all times
- Ability to work safely and prevent personal injury
- Commitment to the safety of fellow co-workers and our guests, and the ability to demonstrate that commitment through daily actions
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Preparation of all restaurant’s foods, hot and cold.
- Responsible for working in all aspects of food preparation.
- Demonstrate knowledge in all areas of the kitchen
- Able to read measure and execute recipes.
- Able to read and execute computer tickets for service
- Apply advanced knife skills required for service and preparation.
- Maintain a solid menu knowledge and attention to detail with plate presentation. Able to train incoming staff on preparation and platting of all menu items
- Assists all Chefs as needed in execution of service
- Maintaining high level of professionalism by exhibiting the Art of Excellence philosophy
- Working as a team, assisting all guests and employee’s needs and inquiries
- Effectively communicate with management, chefs and service staff in order to fulfill and address any issues or needs requested by guests and or other employees
- Work one or two days ahead of operation to ensure product delivery is on time and to ensure on days off anyone covering has what they need to operate
- Assists and/ or completes additional tasks as assigned
- Working relationships
- Quality of work
- Job skills knowledge
- Adherence to Policy
- Verbal communication
- Guest satisfaction
- High School Diploma Preferred
- 3 years minimum of experience, high volume preferred
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Valid Driver’s License
- 18+ years of age
- Possession of or the ability to possess all state required work cards
- Maintain a professional, neat and well-groomed appearance adhering to Company standards
WORKING KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Opening and closing duties
- Proper lifting techniques
- Guest relations
- Sanitation and safety
- High volume operations
- Must have strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and assertively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with staff, clients, and the general public
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude at all times
- Ability to keep an open and objective view
- Ability to listen empathetically and be respectful at all times
- Ability to maintain composure and stay focused
- Ability to maintain personal integrity
- Ability to work as a team, stay organized, handle various projects at one time, follow up and make accurate decisions
- Ability to handle a fast-paced, busy, and somewhat stressful environment, and work under pressure and meet deadlines
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Must have good positive energy to make it through the day
- Must be able to read the computer monitors
- Must be able to print legibly for guests to read
- Must be observant and quick to respond to various situations
- Must be fluent in both written and spoken English language
- Must be able to move quickly through work and set the pace in the office and/or venue
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time
- Must be dexterous and able to participate in all service aspects.
- Must be able to twist, tow (push or pull), reach, bend, climb and carry as necessary
- Must be able to push and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools or controls
- Ability to reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Ability to talk, hear, taste, and smell
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
WORK ENVIRONMENT & SCHEDULE:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Work indoors and/or outdoors, exposed to hot and/or cold surfaces, steam, and wet floors
- Work in an environment that is subject to varying levels of noise, crowds and smoke, the severity of which depends upon guest volume
- Fast paced, high volume, high energy
- Hours may be part-time (less than 30 hours per week)
- Schedule could exceed 30 hours per week and may include overtime when approved by management
- Work varied shifts to include days, nights, weekends and holidays
- Security Level – LOW
This job description is a summary of duties, which you as Prep Cook are expected to perform in your assignment. It is by no means an all-inclusive list but is merely a broad guide to expected duties. As an employee you should understand that a job description is neither complete nor permanent; it can be modified at any time. Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the property. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required. Also, at the request of management, any employee may be asked and expected to perform additional duties, responsibilities, or projects without notice.